Deaf Education: Transfer Programs

Students who complete the Deaf Education Paraprofessional program may want to transfer to a 4-year college or later pursue a Master’s degree and/or teaching certificate in Deaf Education. Here are current options for this career pathway:

Kapi’olani Community College:

A.A. Interpreter Education (community or educational interpreting). Contact: Ms. Jan Fried ( for more information

University of Hawaiʻi at Manoa:

B.Ed. Dual Preparation in Elementary Education and Special Education (eligible for teaching certification in Elementary and Special Education) Contact: Dr. Veronica Ogata ( or visit for more information

PILI Deaf Education Teacher Preparation Program for Hawaiʻi and the Pacific:

(eligible for teaching certification in Deaf Education) Contact: Dr. Judy Coryell ( for more information

Gallaudet University, (Washington, DC):

Special admission as a Hearing Undergraduate Student (supported by an articulation agreement between Kapi’olani Community College and Gallaudet University). Major in Elementary Education or other area of interest. Contact: Dr. Judy Coryell ( or visit for more information