Students will have opportunities to gain real-life experiences in preK-5th grade classroom settings by engaging in Service Learning. Service Learning connects meaningful community service experiences with academic learning, personal growth, and civic responsibility. It extends students’ learning beyond the college classroom and allows students to apply newly acquired skills and knowledge to real-life situations. For more information on Service Learning, please visit the KCC Service Learning website.
Academic and service learning scholarships are available for qualifying Elementary Education students. The links below provide information on numerous scholarship opportunities.
Students can schedule an appointment at anytime to visit the Elementary Education Counselor and/or faculty advisor. The counselor and faculty advisor support students to “stay on track” and complete the requirements of the Associates in Arts (A.A.) Degree with a Focus in Elementary Education.
Get FIT Program
The Get FIT (Future In Teaching) Program within the College of Education (COE) at the University of Hawai‘i at Manoa (UHM) is designed to support KCC students in their goal of becoming an Elementary Education teacher and will assist them in entering the COE.
Some benefits of joining the Get FIT Program:
- Access to a student lounge – where you can meet other students interested in Elementary Education
- Participation in a variety of fun and educational events
- Access to a wealth of resources
- Entry into a virtual community in Second Life
- Opportunities to talk story with student leaders in the COE
- Access to a Residential Learning Community at one of UH’s newly-constructed dorms
For more information, please email or call (808) 956-7142.