Kapi‘olani Community College offers the Associates in Arts (A.A.) Degree with a Focus in Secondary Education for students who are interested in working with youth in secondary school settings.
Associates in Arts (A.A.) Degree with a Focus in Secondary Education (60 credits)
- Two-year degree with practical coursework in general education courses
- Opportunity to begin specialization in Secondary Education content subject area coursework
- Preparation for employment in a global market
- Students may transfer to the University of Hawai‘i at Manoa to fulfill a Bachelor’s degree and licensure in Secondary Education, or transfer to other teacher education programs
Secondary Education Program Courses:
These specialized courses will be dependent upon the content subject area within Secondary Education that you select as a focus area.
Please refer to the University of Hawai‘i at Manoa College of Education Wiki Student Advising website for detailed information on the B.Ed. in Secondary Education degree, required courses for the various content subject areas, and admissions requirements:
Highly Recommended Courses:
- ED 122- Foundations of Education I (Historical & Philosophical)
- ED 123- Foundations of Education II (Psychological)
- ED 125- Partnerships with Families, Schools, and Communities I
- ED 126- Partnerships with Families, Schools, and Communities II
- ED 151- Education & Technology I
- ED 286 -Introduction to Special Education I
- ED 287 – Introduction to Special Education II
- ED 285- Classroom Management & Instruction
- FAMR 230 – Survey of Human Development
- PSY 170 -Psychology of Adjustment
- SOC 214- Introduction to Race & Ethnic Relations
- SOC 218 -Introduction to Social Problems
- THEA 221- Beginning Acting I
For more information on the courses, visit the Course Descriptions page.
For complete Associates in Arts (A.A.) Degree requirements, please refer to the A.A. Planning Sheet
The Associates in Arts (A.A.) Degree with a Focus in Secondary Education will allow a student to continue for a Bachelor of Education (B.Ed.) Degree at the University of Hawai‘i at Manoa, or another 4-year college or university to become a licensed Secondary Education teacher.